The Benefits of a 12 week sessions:
- Belladonna builds her curriculum based on the 12 week schedule, by enrolling in the session you get exposure to all of the material in the curriculum.
- At the end of the session it is easier to know if you want to repeat that class or try a new one.
- Session make it easier to try new classes and styles in each session.
- It is easier to know which class you should start with when we all start together.
- Session encourage regular attendance and help you learn the material on a regular basis.
- More camaraderie with fellow students when you commit to attending a specific class.
- It is easier to know when to move on to a more difficult level, as the material in the each class becomes easier.
- Allows material to be cumulative with more review of technique, increase of stamina. As well as the introduction of other elements such as rhythm, musicality, layers and combinations.
- Potential performance opportunities, as session give us the time commitment to work on specific projects, material and choreography.
- Participants are encouraged to make up missed classes in any other class offer by Belladonna, within the 10 week time period.
Technique classes are focused on the foundations of the dance idiom, in particular body alignment, strength, stretch and stamina are developed. Rhythm studies and musicality are studied. There is exposure to a wide variety of music.
The dance phrases or combinations become increasingly complex. The basic elements of dance are explored through composition and improvisation studies that are precursors to choreography and continue to cultivate the creativity of the individual. Strength is gained in balancing both structure and creativity. The body and mind grow stronger as new elements are explored.
Flexibility is an important part of being healthy. Dance requires a great amount of flexibility. Most dance classes begin with a warm-up including several stretching exercises. Dancers must strive to achieve full range of motion for all the major muscle groups. The greater the range of motion, the more muscles can flex and extend. Most forms of dance require dancers to perform moves that require bending and stretching, so dancers naturally become more flexible by simply dancing.
Dance is physical exercise. Exercise increases endurance. Endurance is the ability of muscles to work hard for increasingly longer periods of time without fatigue. Regular dancing is great for improving endurance, especially vigorous dancing such as line and ballroom dancing. Elevating the heart rate can increase stamina. Just as in any form of exercise, regular dancing will build endurance.
4. Sense of Well-Being
Dancing is a social activity. Studies have shown that strong social ties and socializing with friends contribute to high self-esteem and a positive outlook. Dancing provides many opportunities to meet other people. Joining a dance class can increase self-confidence and build social skills. Because physical activity reduces stress and tension, regular dancing gives an overall sense of well-being.